Monday, November 2, 2009

Digging up the past...



Tonight I discovered my parents old record collection gathering dust in our attic. I'm not sure what possessed me to go searching for it, but I remembered flicking through them as a child; looking at the pictures mostly. I had always assumed I was the black sheep of the family - the only one who truly appreciated and understood music. But, it seems as though my parents still have a few hidden secrets from their youth...

My first discovery was an ice-cream container and a plastic bag full of 45's (singles). The likes of The Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Beatles, Queen, The Police and a band I had never heard before Electric Light Orchestra (who happen to be excellent), had been tucked away for all these years. I felt robbed. All of this potential musical influence left squandering away as I grew up on whatever pop culture fed to me.


Jimi Hendrix - All along the Watchtower (Live, 1970)




The box of LP's boasted the greatest of treasures - Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon, John Farnham - Whispering Jack, Paul Simon - Graceland, Split Enz - True Colours and a bunch of other classics from that era of greatness.

This new discovery has re-ignited my passion for classic music and may just have inspired a new hobby... we'll see how it goes.



Related Posts with Thumbnails